MIFFLINBURG — Volunteers from the Mifflinburg Hose Company were able to save a family pet from a fire which caused heavy heat damage to a Union County home on Friday morning.
Ralph Zimmerman, a deputy chief with the department, said the fire broke out at 6:30 a.m. inside of a home located at the intersection of Johnson Mill Road and Buffalo Crossroads, Buffalo Township. He did not have the home’s address or the name of the homeowners available Friday afternoon.
“The main bulk of the fire was contained to a bedroom closet area,” Zimmerman said. “It initially came in that we had heavy fire... There was fire through the outside wall when we got there.”
He said everyone escaped from the home unharmed. Firefighters were able to rescue a dog from the fire.
“(Residents are) always happy when we save their animals, which is nice,” Zimmerman said.
He said the fire appeared to be electrical in nature. A Pennsylvania State Police fire marshal was expected to visit the scene to help determine the exact cause.
Zimmerman was not sure if the property owners were insured.
“The fire itself was probably under control within 15 minutes,” he said. “We had extensive overhaul... There was heavy, heavy heat damage throughout the whole house.”
Firefighters were on scene for about one hour.
Zimmerman noted that Friday’s humid weather did not hamper efforts to douse the fire.
“It was early enough in the morning and we had enough manpower, that’s what saved us,” he said. “We had plenty of manpower we could rotate out.”
In addition to the Mifflinburg Hose Company, he said firefighters from Lewisburg and New Berlin were called to the scene, along with tanker trucks from White Deer Township, Milton and Union Township.
Volunteers from the Union County West End Fire Department were called to stand by at the Mifflinburg station while responders worked on scene. A rescue truck from the Milton Fire Department was placed on standby at Lewisburg’s William Cameron Engine Company.
Milton firefighters had their own blaze to douse Friday afternoon.
At around 12:45 p.m., firefighters were called to the scene of a mini van fire in the parking lot of Charlene’s Petal Talk on North Arch Street.
Witnesses on scene said the fire started in the engine compartment of the van after the occupants stopped at the flower shop.
Firefighters were able to quickly bring the blaze under control. There were no injuries.
The Milton fire and police departments both responded to the scene.
Staff writer Kevin Mertz can be reached at 570-742-9671 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.