MILTON — “Five… four… three… two… one.”
A group of about 20 children gathered in the Milton Public Library’s lawn Tuesday evening and provided a countdown as staff member Carlee Jarrett prepared to launch two small rockets into the air.
The rocket launches were among the highlights of a family fun night, held as part of the library’s annual Summer Reading Program.
Jed Stalker, library director, said the theme for the fun night was a STEA2M Fair. Activities related to science, technology, engineering, art, arithmetic and music were available throughout the library.
“We thought it would be fun to make a party out of this,” Stalker said.
Jarrett noted that the theme for this year’s Summer Reading Program is “A Universe of Stories.” The activities offered Tuesday fit with that theme and included children having the opportunity to make space-related crafts. A story time and face painting were also offered.
The rockets were powered by household items, with one operating on bubble power. Jarrett explained the ingredients used to launch the other rocket as she attempted to send it flying into the air.
“I’m going to combine the vinegar and the baking powder and it should shoot up,” Jarrett told those gathered for the event.
She noted that the launch would be repeated during today’s Summer Reading Program activities.
A number of activities are planned throughout the summer at the library. They include:
• Summer Science, 10 a.m. Mondays, through Aug. 12.
• Summer Reading, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesdays. Featuring a morning program for children ages 2-6 and in first through fourth grade. Free lunch at noon. Program for kids in grades five through 8 in the afternoon.
• Summer Tween and Teen Time, 2 p.m. Thursdays.
Paws and Pals, 10 a.m. Fridays. For children up to age 5.
Dental Health Workshop, noon and 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 10.
• Play K, 11 a.m. Thursdays, July 11 through Aug. 15.
• Kids Kitchen — Star Wars, 1 p.m. Thursday, July 11. For children ages 10 to 14.
• Storybook Art Club, 2 p.m. Tuesday, July 16.
• Gingerbread Rockets, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, July 20. For children ages 2 to 18.
• Cre8tive Art — Blow Painting, 2 p.m. Tuesday, July 23. For children ages 8 and over.
• Wee Build, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday, July 27.
• American Girl Tea Party, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday, July 27.
• Music and Movement, 11 a.m. Wednesdays, July 31 through Aug. 28. For children age 5 and under.
Staff writer Kevin Mertz can be reached at 570-742-9671 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.